5.18.2007

Five Points

Last night I had dinner at Five Points with Suz. I have to say it was as good as I had hoped. For those of you unfamiliar with it, Five Points is not a new hotspot. It's the 8 year old flagship of chef Marc Meyer on Great Jones St. Even though I hate that neighborhood I decided to finally give this one a try since I LOVE his Chelsea hotspot Cookshop. We both started off the night with the softshell crab appetizer. This was what I was most excited about with the meal but sadly I was underwhelmed. The crab was on a bed of raw spinach and had WAY too much aoli on top of it. I can't even mention how the crab itself was since the aoli was extremely strong and overpowered ANY taste the crab might have had to offer. Note to the sous chef: next time drizzle the sauce or dollop it on the side! On to the main courses. I had grilled blackfish (kind of a cross between halibut and monkfish) with pancetta on top, situated on a bed of extremely crunchy green & wax beans. Very light & summery and interesting! Suz had a steak with onion rings which she was exceedly happy with (as a non steak eater I had to agree it was a great cut after trying a tiny piece). All of this was paired perfectly with a white Rioja. To me the room itself was a bit crowded and somewhere dreary, however the excellent service made up for that. In the end I'll say get on over to Cookshop and if you like it then why not give Five Points a try too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home