7.31.2007

The Floating Pool

Saturday I went with Suzohn to The Floating Pool in Brooklyn. First off - YIKES - this is even more ghetto than Water Taxi Beach (and without the booze!)! When you first hit the parking lot, you see the "beach area", which is really just a parking lot full of sand:




To get on the barge/into the pool you have to get a wristband for an assigned time period of one hour only (1 1/2 during the week). Lucky for us, we got there at about 1:40pm and it wasn't that crowded so we were able to get on the 2pm session.

I do have to admit, once on the barge the pool itself is pretty nice:



I myself didn't go in (there were WAY TOO MANY gross people and children in it for my taste) but Suz did do a few back-n-forths in the lap lane (1/3 of the pool is reserved strickly for laps) before the entire crowd had boarded and the pool was packed.

The staff that works is place is totally Hitler. I alone got yelled at 3 times! First it was to take off my shoes. Next it was to take a shower before getting in the pool (I got to by-pass this rule since I told them I wasn't going in the water) and then to move my towel from blocking the stairs. They also kept yelling at random people over the loud speaker to stop running etc. Oh, and you can't have any food or drink on the barge either. I will say though the facilities were much cleaner than expected. At the far end (from where the above pic was taken) there is a raised section that had a nice breeze and a partial roof so we were able to be part in the sun and part in the shade. Also, there are definitely great views of lower Manhattan from the barge as well:

I'd say that this one can DEFINITELY be missed. Even though the water taxi beach has no swimming, they do at least have beer and burgers - which is always more important, isn't it?!?!?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home