3.06.2007

The End Of Winter Is Near!

With daylight savings on its way this Sunday and April just around the corner (although you wouldn't know it with these below 0 temps in NYC) I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of spring and the warm weather (it's supposed to be 47 here on Saturday people!). Not much has been going on lately during these winter doldrums. I spent last weekend in Boston and it was rather uneventful. I did manage to see Zodiac. I liked it a lot (of course, I mean both Mark Ruffalo and Jakey are in it!) . Even though it was long (2 hrs. 45 mins.), it did keep my attention for most of it. It's an interesting story told by a talented cast. It's not the best movie I've ever seen but I'd recommend it (although it can definitely wait a month until it is released on DVD).



While I was up there I heard a disheartening story on the news about one of my favorite Boston bars J.J. Foley's. Evidently one of the owners beat up a gay patron who was seen kissing another man and physically threw him out of the bar. At first I kind of found this hard to believe. I've been there tons of times and it's always a crazy mix of people and I've never seen any prejudice of any kind go on in there. HOWEVER, a quote by the owner sealed the guilt. When asked whether he would allow two men to kiss in one of his establishments, Foley said: "Hell no. What would you think?". OMG - the IGNORANCE. At least TRY to hide your guilt buddy! Sadly, that place won't see another dime of my money. Please join me in the boycott (at least until the verdict is passed down - I do believe in innocent until proven guilty).

On to happier things. Here are a few things that are warming up my winter and making me smile:

1. The exclusive release on iTunes of Dave Hemmingway's (former lead singer of the Beautiful South) solo effort "Hello Cruel World". I love this pic on Dave's myspace page!:


2. My impending birthday trip to Barcelona in April (if any readers out there have any recommendations for eating/drinking/shopping/etc. please comment!). First stop will be the counter at Cal Pep for pa tomato and chipirones with a glass of Rioja, followed by a couple absentas at Bar Marsella!


3. Food & Wine's upcoming announcement of the 2007 Best New Chefs in April.

4. The Amazing Race All-Star Edition. My pic to win - Boston Rob & Ambaaaa - they're ruthless!


5. The opening of the new Keith McNally, Morandi, with chef Jodi Williams at the helm. (I just need to motivate now and pick up the phone and make a booking!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm, yes! get on it & make the rezzie and take me to diner!

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home