2.28.2007

Del Posto

I just returned from a magnificant lunch at Mario Batali's latest endevour Del Posto. I know, it's not that new (I'm kind of glad the hype has died down actually; it sort of made it all that much more special). Anyway, I decided to go with the pre-fixe menu pranzo ($49 for lunch). First out of the kitchen was a group of amuse bouches - olives, white bean crostini, a vegetable tortilla and mini-mini-zepolis with parmesan. All were excellent indications of what was to follow.

For the first course I had the salumi misti with erbazzone and sweet pumpkin. This was a tasting of 7 different types of homemade salamis (the brescola was my favorite) with a spinach torte in the middle and carmelized pumpkin on the side (note to self: LEAVE the pumpkin on the side; note to Mario: leave it out altogether!). Course 2 was garganelli verde al ragù bolognese (an open-style spinach penne in a very light bolognese sauce - DELISH and defintely a highlight!). Course 3 was pork loin with grilled celery, artichoke and cynar. The 3 pieces of pork loin didn't overwhelm me (although I'm not a big pork loin fan) however on the side was an artichoke filled with pulled pork (LOVED that!). I'm almost afraid to say it but the highlight just may have well been the dessert trio. It was espresso ice cream, a dark chocolate mouse with a few pieces of chocolate kracked rice on top of the whipped cream AND, (BEST OF ALL!) a dark chocolate torte with carmel corn on top (and a few kernals hidden inside). This may have been one of the best desserts EVER!

Overall I loved Del Posto and was WAY more impressed with it than I thought I'd be. I'd highly recommend it, although it's definitely pricey so it's best on a trip when you're not paying. It sort of has that old-fashioned supper club feel - woody and formal, yet not overdone or too glitzy. Great atmostphere for a business lunch/dinner for sure! All that said, now Babbo has definitely moved way up on my list of places to hit. Keep up the good work Molto!



1 Comments:

Blogger kimmyk said...

Everything sounds DELISH (except the pumpkin! LOVE the note to Mario;))

Glad you got to go!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home