12.20.2006

Lunch @ The Modern

A couple times in the past I've blogged about how much I love going for drinks at the bar at The Modern. Today I finally went to try out the food at lunch. I have to say, in typical Danny Meyer fashion, it was very good, but definitely not one of my favorites. As stated before, I love the setting - a very sleek room inside of MoMa. However the food which consisted mainly of overpriced small portions left a bit to be desired. We started with a tarte flambee for the table which was a good itme to share - a flat bread pizza with pancetta and carmelized onions. Next up for an appetizer I had the wild mushroom soup with chorizo raviolis. The soup reminded me a lot of the amuse bouche from Gordon Ramsay at the London. The addition of the raviolis on the side however did make this appetizer extra special - in fact, it was the best part of my meal. For a main I did the crispy yellowfin tuna with carmelized cauliflower, endive and charred onion consomme. This was nothing special and to me the tuna was a bit too fatty. For desert I went for the modern chocolate tarte with vanilla ice cream - the ice cream was outstanding, but the tarte a bit weak on the chocolate. Accompanying the food was an excellent Cote d'Rhone. Would I go back? Yes, if someone else is paying as it can get pricey. Basically it's an ultrahip setting with decent (but not that notable) food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home