11.20.2006

Phone Rings, Door Chimes, In Comes Company!

Last Thursday I went to see the latest revival of Stephen Sondheim's Company, and I have to say this was my favorite Sondheim yet! The premise of the show is how a 35 year old New York City bachelor named Bobby deals with all of the trials and tribulations of his married friends as he searches for love himself. First performed in the early 1970's - this material still finds relevance in today's NY. The show is directed by John Doyle, who also helmed last years revival of Sweeney Todd. The direction is very similar - minimal staging and each of the characters plays a musical instrument as opposed to having an orchestra. To me, the whole show screamed NY - from the all black attire to the sleek and stylish set. Raul Esparza slides seamlessly into the role of Bobby - a part that he seems born to play. The rest of the supporting cast, many of whom were brought over from the initial run in Cincinati, all hold their own. I say if you see only one Broadway musical in 2007, this is the one to catch. Hopefully it will stick around for a while - this one is so special that I definitely want to see it again (and I'm not typically a double-dipper!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home