10.17.2006

Are We All Getting Too Old?

Saturday night I went to see The Pet Shop Boys at Radio City. I've seen the Boys numerous times and I have to say this was my least favorite. Yes, they played the majority of their hits including "West End Girls", "It's A Sin", "Always On My Mind" and "Where The Streets Have No Name". And they played the majority of their new album Fundamental (which by the way, I think is QUITE good and very reminiscent of their old stuff). My big problem with the show (and I hate to say it) was that I think Neil Tennant is getting a little to old in the tooth to be dressing up in cheesy costumes and dancing like a white-boy on stage to dance music (see pic). I always liked the outrageous costumes and sets of their previous shows, but this time it seemed a bit embarrassing for them. They opened the show with one of their new singles "Psychological" and it may have very well been a funeral dirge. Oh, no wait, the funeral dirge showed up later in the show when they played "Dreaming of the Queen" while showing footage of Diana's funeral procession on the screens behind them. Another big problem was that Radio City swallowed them up. Sadly, the show was not "big" enough to command that space. I think something like Hammerstein (where they played on the last tour) might have been better suited. On a positive note, I will say that Neil can still sing. I just wish Chris would've turned down the base a little on some of the new songs so Neil's vocals could have really shown through. The highlights of the show for me where actually the new songs "The Soddom And Gommorah Show" and "Integral". In all, even with all of this bitching, I did have a good time. Maybe I'm being overcritical and jaded here. If I had never seen them before, I'm sure the review would've been much better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home