4.25.2006

Acme & The Backroom

First off, I heard Cher was at the Scissor Sisters show on Saturday - damn - how could I have missed her!

A couple of reviews from Saturday:

We had dinner at ACME, a NY institution over on the Bowery that serves Cajun food. I've wanted to go there since I moved to NY 10 years ago and I FINALLY made it there. I'm going back immediately! Really good Jambalya and Catfish! And the hurricanes got the night off to a fast start! Cheap, cheerful and delish!


After dinner we had drinks at Tim Robbin's speakeasy The Back Room. All mixed drinks at this bar are served in tea cups and the beer bottles come in paper bags. The room is very throwback with lots of deep wallpaper, red velvet sofas and chandelliers. I liked it a lot - GREAT music. Make sure you take the address with you when you go. This bar literally only has a small gate guarded by a bouncer - it's a bit hard to find if you don't know it. After you enter the gate and walk down the stairs you have to walk below the buildings to get into this hidden den. The crowd there got a bit UES after like 10:30, so I'd recommend a stop at this place early on in the night or on weeknights. A girl walked up to the bar and ordered a drink not on the menu (she asked for a naked martini - which by the way she explained to me was Grey Goose L'orange, white cranberry juice and craisins - yum, but like who has white cran and craisins behind a bar on the LES!) and expected the bartender to know what it was! At that point I knew it was time to move on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home