1.02.2008

Let's Kick Off 2008!

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm jumping right on this today, trying to get back in the habit of posting. On deck today is a review of Insieme, a farely recent addition to the theater district brought to you by the team behind Hearth in the East Village (which I reviewed almost a year ago).

I went to Insieme for my department holiday lunch at the end of last year. The concept of the menu is just like at Hearth - on the left side of the menu are the more classically prepared Italian dishes while the right side is more modern interpretations. I started off on the classic side with an appetizer sized portion of spaghetti al'amatriciana - one of my favorite Italian dishes. I wasn't disappointed (and actually wished I had chosen this as my main!). The pasta was perfectly al dente and the sauce had just the right amount of kick. I stuck with the classic side for my main as well which was a branzino arrosto - a filet of roasted Mediterranean bass simply prepared with lemon and rosemary over a bed of patate contadina (a fresh tomato salad). Keeping with the classic theme for dessert, I went with the trio of ice cream/gelato (vanilla, pumpkin and ginger). Each flavor was mouth watering in it's own right however when eaten together it came off as pumpkin pie - SPECTACULAR!

Everyone at the table enjoyed their meal immensley. A few other dishes of note included the beef tartare, the beet salad and the braised short ribs. The room is very minimalist white however is still quite comfortable and service was top notch. This one is going to be a theater district staple for me, so check it out next time you are in the area for a show!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home