1.29.2007

Momofuku Ssam Bar

Went for brunch with Suz yesterday to Momofuku Ssam Bar. I've been wanting to try chef David Chang's Asian decadance since last June when he was voted one of the Best New Chefs by Food & Wine. One night over the summer I was actually lucky enough to get a seat at the counter (oh wait, it's all counter) of the original Momofuku. Sadly though, it was one of the steamiest nights of the summer. Add to that that it is an open kitchen which takes up about 1/2 of the small space and the fact that we got the seats in the back corner. I just couldn't bring myself to endure the heat and left vowing to return.

I still haven't made it back there YET, but since then Mr. Chang has opened up an even less formal (if that's possible) offshoot of his original called Momofuku Ssam Bar. Located in the East Village on 2nd & 13th, Ssam Bar is a sleek modern space made of dark wood with both counter and tables. An indie soundtrack rounds out the hip vibe.

The concept is very Chipotle in the fact that there is no table service - instead you make your way down the line making selections for your wrap (made of a flour pancake or lettuce - a ssam is an asian version of the burrito) or rice bowl and pay at the end. I went for the signature original ssam ($9) - a flour pancake filled with hoisin, sticky rice, bershire pork, onions, pickled shitakes, edamame and red kimchee puree.


This was a small bundle of heaven and the hoisin/kimchee flavor combination is pure magic! We also tried the steamed chicken buns ($8 for 2) - also great but a little misleading. I was expecting more of a dumpling but in all actuality it was more of a mini-sandwich type item filled with organic chicken, hoisin, pickled cucumber and kewpie slaw. All this this was washed down with a refreshing OB asian lager ($5).

Overall I LOVED this place and am now praying that the Chang empire expands west into my 'hood. Delivery is on it's way for the lucky East Villagers (I'll just have to settle for take-out)! Not to mention original Momofuku is now at the top of my M-U-S-T list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home