1.16.2007

A Chorus Line


Saturday I went to see A Chorus Line on Broadway. I had high expectations for this one since I've heard nothing but great reviews for this revivial and know that tickets are sold out for months in advance. Sadly, I was mildly disappointed. To me, the show was lackluster. What was at one time one of my favorite musicals now lacked a spark. Maybe I've changed and the material just isn't as meaningful to me as it once was. Truly, though, I feel the problem may have been poor casting. The only actor who really stood out to me was Jeffrey Schecter as Mike. Schecter not only embodied the character but could sing and dance with what seemed like little effort. The rest of the cast varied from middle-of-the-road talent to easily replaceable. Overall, this is not a bad production (how could it be? - it's all modelled on the original production). I think I've just been spoiled by the shows I've seen lately, especially the revival of Sonheim's Company. I guess I'd recommend A Chorus Line to anyone who has never seen the show or who wants to see something a little more substantial than the Mama Mia's of the Broadway world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home