5.03.2006

Awake & Sing!

Rounding out the busy evening last night, I went to see the revival of Awake And Sing!. I think Julia Roberts needs to go see this - she could learn a thing or two about stage acting from it. Everyone in the ensemble cast including Mark Ruffalo, Lauren Ambrose, Ben Gazzara (who recently overcame a stroke and was still at his best!) and Zoe Wanamaker proved that they are TRUE actors and masters of their craft. Pablo Schrieber (Liev's brother),making his Broadway debut, held his own with many of these veterans. I was shocked that I actually LOVED this show (and would catagorize it as one of the best I've ever seen), since I typically don't like period pieces. I won't give much away - it's basically the story of the trials and tribulations of a Jewish family living in an apartment together in the Bronx during the Depression. The intensity that each of these actors brought to their character kept me interested in not only the plot but also what each character was doing on the stage at any given time - be it speaking or just observing the action. Of course, Mark Ruffalo was the highlight for me as the sarcastic boarder Moe Axelrod, and was a pro at creating the necessary sexual tension with Ambrose's Hennie character. Excellent job casting director - these two have chemistry together! The story, written by Clifford Odets in 1935, translated well for a present-day audience enlisting lots of comic moments complementing the drama. I'd recommend seeing this show during it's run without a doubt. Check out Theatermania for discounted tickets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home