2.21.2006

Rosa Mexicano Union Square

Saturday I tried the new branch of Rosa Mexicano in Union Square. While sitting in the David Rockwell designed space, I couldn't help but feel like I was in Vega$. The space is large and very appealing to the eye, however it takes on that air of a theme park. And with that theme park comes a HUGE plus - there is a great deal of space between tables - something you RARELY see in NY!

As for the food, I now remember why I haven't been back since I tried the UWS branch 5 years ago (and not just because it's located on the UWS). Don't get me wrong - it isn't bad - it's just WAY overdone. Why does every dish need so many ingredients? Why does everything spicy have to have something sweet in the sauce?

I had the Pescado al Guajillo (pan-seared Chilean sea bass with a jalapeƱo potato cake, swiss chard and guajillo chile-pineapple-passion fruit sauce). The sea bass was a nice piece of fish - but who could taste it with that much going on in the sauce. The potato cake reminded me more of scalloped potatoes than a cake, with only a bit of a zing. The Lady Spence had the Tacos de Carne Asada
(grilled marinated skirt steak with Chihuahua cheese, charro beans, roasted corn esquites and salsa chile de arbol). Again, just too much. She didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.

The two best bets that make it worth the trip are the guacamole prepared tableside (go with the spicy - we went with the medium and thought it definitely could've been kicked up a bit more) and the pommegranite margaritas (served frozen only). I would recommend to visit here on a weeknight and to sit at the bar and have drinks and get the guac, however then it won't be made fresh tableside. So I guess just grab a table and try to combine your visit here into a rep lunch.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard and Lady Spence- you are 100% right! The guacomole is good and the pommegranite frozen margaritas so fun and tasty. Other than that, I have nothing good to say.

Blake

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home