10.08.2007

The Orchard

Friday I had dinner with a*holes at The Orchard, a restaurant that had been compared to me as the Little Owl / Hearth of the L.E.S. I have to say in some ways this statement is very true. Let's just jump right into the food since I have to say that EVERY bit of it was notable, if not SPECTACULAR! My first course was the yellowfin tuna tartare with crispy tostones, guacamole, whipped red onions creme fraiche ($16) - a very fresh take on an overdone staple with a perfect balance of spice/sweetness/acidity. LOVED! Another notable starter that I tasted was the flatbread topped with braised short ribs, marinated cherry tomatoes, sweet horseradish cream ($13) - sweet & decadent with a little kick. For a main I had the olive oil poached halibut with crispy artichoke hearts and lemon confit ($27). A gorgeous piece of fish and the artichokes with the lemon was fresh and sweet (overall the dish was a bit heavy yet very simple and original). The other notable main was the handkerchief pasta with pulled duck confit, sweet balsamic onions, baby carrots and a creamy port wine sauce ($25). WOW - I don't even eat duck but this was rich and very comforting! All of my meal was paired with a 2005 Kaliedo Malbec that was light with a bit of spice at an extremely reasonable $36/bottle. Service was VERY top notch (although sadly, it was our server's last night there). Now here it comes - my only complaint: the decor. Yikes - WAY too 80's prom function room for me. It had a pink/peach hue in a room lined by mirrors. PLEASE change the decor! When I return (which I definitely will), I will be grabbing a seat at the bar (or one of the few tables out by it) to avoid having to sit in those surroundings. Hmmm . . . maybe some people won't be as offended by it . . . I'll leave that up to you to decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home